Saturday, July 28, 2007

That squirrel was disrespecting me


Seriously, that's what a friend from Virginia told my husband a couple of weeks ago. I laughed and thought, well "M" has finally gone off the deep end if he thinks a squirrel is disrespecting him.

But after the last few days, I think I've taken the plunge myself. Squirrels show absolutely no reverence for all the time, labor and money I've put into the yard.





This used to be a Jacob's Ladder until the contemptuous one dug it from the ground. And this is only one of two of these it has done this to. Then there are the ones it uses to bounce off of, knock them to the ground, and break the stems.








As much as it makes me sizzle, this is the one that really gets Ed frothing at the mouth. If they want to take a tomato or two, fine. But why do they have to take one bite out of every tomato that ripens and leave it as a sign of their scorn?









And this one sealed it for me. The varmint is chewing on my Wide-leaved Spiderwort. Right in front of me. I walked up to within 10 feet of the critter and he just kind of sat there and stared at me. I threw rocks at it and it just turned around and lazily scampered off. (I have a terrible aim.)









These are just a few examples of all the destructive behaviors it so openly flaunts. There is no love lost between me and the tree rat.

And "M", sorry I ever doubted you.

No comments: