Sunday, October 21, 2007

Favorites Return & Others

Fall is still in the offing since I still don't have the Dark-eyed Juncoes and White-throated Sparrows as regular visitors. A single male DEJU passed through briefly yesterday afternoon. He landed on the deck rail just a few feet away from me and then hit the road again. I haven't seen the WTSP's since last weekend.

I was happy to see some of the missing "usual suspects" show up this weekend. The Mockingbird (pictured first below) came in for a drink of water from the bird bath this morning. Yesterday, a male Red-bellied Woodpecker hung around for a while and finally left after finding a morsel of something from one of the trees. He had a nut, berry, or whatever in his beak when he finally flew off for the day. Also seen were the long absent Downy Woodpecker and Song Sparrow.



Another interesting visitor both yesterday and today was this female? juvenile? Northern Parula. This warbler breeds in Missouri and then heads south to Mexico and Honduras for the winter. They are usually out of here by the end of September, maybe early October, but this one has found my yard and enjoyed a sip of water and refreshing bath. I first saw the Northern Parula for the first time during the Spring migration. Hopefully this one will hit the road soon and remember my yard on the return trip.




I know I have complained to the point of exhaustion about the squirrels. But I had to laugh as this little fellow showed off his acrobatic abilities on the shepherd's hook and feeders. This is one determined squirrel.


And how he was able to cling on to the "Cling-A-Wing" feeder, I'll never know. The feeder will probably be destroyed in due time. Squirrel-proof feeder? I don't think it exists no matter how hard Duncraft pushes them. These are clever little devils that will figure out any challenge put in front of them!


Til the next time, hang in there!

No comments: