Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bird #101

I was sitting on the patio last week as the sun was starting to set. I saw what I thought was a house finch on the neighbor's fence, but something about it told me it was different. I put the bins on it and realized it was different. It sat on the fence and would fly up to catch bugs over and over. Then it flew to the overhead lines and sat there with its mouth wide open .... guess the bugs were flying right into its mouth! I also noticed the bright yellow lining of its mouth that must be its way of attracting the bugs.

A few months ago I bought the iBird field guide for my iPhone. Actually, it is "WhatBird" for the iPhone. I love it! (Can we say "i Geek") Anyway, I entered a few parameters, came up with several possibilities, but knew right away it was an Eastern Wood Pewee. YaHoo! 101 on my life list.

Photo below is not my own. Photo courtesy of "All About Birds"




,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

2 comments:

Bird said...

That's a perky lookin' fellah! Looking at American birds is always interesting, I'm in the UK and always love to see the variety of species you have over there. I can't honestly say I'm much of a birder, but I'm beginning to learn. I found your blog through Michelle at Ramblingwoods - so I thought I'd say hi!

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by! Michelle is a great gal and I love her blog.