Saturday, September 22, 2007

My New Hummingbird Feeder

You know that hummingbird feeders attract bees. Most of the feeders have a bee guard to keep them from entering the feeder, and the guards are most likely yellow. Did you know that bees are attracted to the color yellow? So why in the world do hummingbird feeder manufacturers put a yellow bee guard on the feeders? I've never understood it.

Last week I realized that my Hummingbird feeder, with a ?stainless steel? base was rusting and leaching into the sugar water. Even though the hummer season is close to over, I purchased a new feeder. So what did I buy? a BRIGHT YELLOW feeder!!



What in the world was I thinking? Well, I now have the ultimate bee magnet. I'm not fretting too much. The more bees I attract, the more pollination that occurs. But I am still bonking myself on the head for selecting this one in a senior (not too far off)/blonde (formerly) moment.

It does look lovely in the yard and will defintely complement the Columbines if they bloom in the Spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use those red saucer types. They don't leak and the bees don't get into it very often. I think Aspects makes them

David said...

Those glass feeders are great. I love mine (and so far, the bees haven't bothered it, even though it's near a flower garden. Thanks for the link to my blog!