Sunday, November 25, 2007

Pine Siskin, Smishkin

It's a hoax ........ All these birdwatchers all around me saying they are seeing the irruptive Pine Siskin. They don't exist, do they? I had a flock of House Finches hanging around the feeders today and thought for sure this would be my day, but not a chance.

Project Feederwatch counts for Cornell have been fairly good for the start of the season (three weeks of counts so far). Between visitors and holiday travel I haven't spent nearly as much time taking the counts as I have in past years. Only 12 different bird species the first week, but 15 each of the last two counts. Over the three week period, a cumulative 19 species have been observed.

Cooper's Hawk
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow
Eurasian Tree Sparrow


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments: