Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hope Revived

It was a beautiful October day and I had time this morning to watch the birds at the feeders, and a couple of new ones [for this location, anyway] showed up. Of course, the usual suspects - House Sparrows & House Finches - were around.


Later, a pair of Carolina Chickadees came around, sharing the feeder if need be with the House Finch.


They would grab a sunflower seed and take off to the shrubs across the parking lot. Return for another, and repeat over and over again, chattering all the way back.


This male Downy Woodpecker didn't actually feed from the feeder, but hung around for a short while to check it out. Now that he knows what's here, maybe he'll come back for the suet this winter.


I've been wondering why there have been so few birds. Do you think my bird-watching partner could have something to do with it?

2 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

How did I miss this entry. Look at Miss Lucy sitting there wishing she could get out and have some real fun. Boy those dees look just like the BC dees..it looks like you will have some good birds to count Amy..Michelle..

Amy said...

Hi Michelle,
St Louis is a buffer zone for Dees. BC Dees are to the north of the MO River and Carolina Dees to the south (my area), but there are hybrids and those that cross over. I'm pretty sure what I see are the Carolina dees, but at times I can't be sure.

The white-throated sparrows are foraging in the shrubs and leaf-covered grass next to the parking lot, and I'm seeing juncoes. Plus a thrush which I am almost certain is a Hermit Thrush. But my field guides are backed in boxes so I'm unable to confirm and add him to my life list.

Lucy & I aren't looking forward to the winter weather, but the winter birds are great.