Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rooftop Birdwatching

The past few days I've seen quite a few birds up on the roof of the office building across the way. Canada Geese are quite common around here with the pond on the opposite side of the building, but they rose to new heights early Friday morning, spending time on the roof strutting about.



Right before the geese landed on the roof, I saw this Green Heron on the railing. Now that is an unusual bird. I'm not sure what attracts them to this suburban location, other than the pond, and I have only seen one here just once in the past. The day I moved in last July, one landed on the apartment roof just above me. The Green Heron is not a year-round resident in Missouri, but they do breed here. Wonder if the one I saw Friday was the same from last year returning to a familiar location?



The next bird was seen yesterday and is the one that makes me really want a lens extender for my camera (the pictures were severely cropped). If I wasn't about to purchase a house, I probably would have forked out the money this weekend. When I first saw the bird fly to the roof, my first thought was an oddly colored Rock Pigeon because of its size and flight pattern. Without a clear picture, I wasn't 100% comfortable with that ID and asked some on-line birders what they thought. Most concurred with the Rock Pigeon ID, although a couple suggested a Ringed Turtle Dove or another type of dove bred for the white coloring. It's a possibility, and I won't rule it out, but it would have to be a domesticated bird that had escaped or was let loose irresponsibly. A leucistic Rock Pigeon is more likely.




,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

No comments: