Friday, March 28, 2008

Grackle Invasion


The common grackle has returned and I'm sure they will be nesting in the area and bringing babies to the yard once again this summer. The past few days it seems all the relatives have been here to check out the neighborhood. Besides the black oil sunflower seed, they are very fond of the peanuts in the shell and the bird bath.


They are extremely noisy birds with all their squeaking and cawing and screeching. A friend once described their calls as being similar to a rusty swing. Very apt, but imagine hearing hundreds of those swings at once. I took this video, not so much for the visual quality, but for the audio.





I wonder if my neighbors hear this and curse me for bringing all the birds to the neighborhood?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I have had some new feathered friends visiting my feeders lately as well. I don't think the are Grackles nor Crows. I really think they might be the Red-Winged Blackbirds I read about in one of my birding books. They are noisy too!!