Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Purple Finch Finally

Finally a Purple Finch (PUFI) to go along with the Pine Siskins. I was hoping to see one before they moved on to their breeding grounds and I was lucky enough to see a pair. The male didn't stick around for photographs, but I did see him very clearly, and it was apparent that he was indeed a Purple Finch. The past couple of years I have looked at brightly colored male House Finches and so wanted them to be Purple Finches. But now that I have had a good view, I know without a doubt that you could never confuse Purple and House Finches. It is true that the male PUFI looks (1) like a house finch on steroids and (2) as if he was dipped in raspberry juice.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I have never seen a Purple Finch but I sure love my House Finches! Nice picture of the female. I am off to look up photos of a male just to see what I am missing~

Happy Planting~
Michelle