Sunday, November 23, 2008

PFW - Week 3: Where'd they all go?

I am back to where I thought I would be when I first set up the feeder station here at the apartment -- almost no birds. My count this weekend was 7 House Sparrows, 5 House Finches, and 1 Downy Woodpecker that came to the suet feeder at the last moment to be counted. That's it! Even the bird numbers outside the feeder area (those not counted for Project FeederWatch) were way down. Yesterday morning about 60 Cedar Waxwings flew in briefly, but haven't been seen since. It looks like the berries have been stripped so the Waxwings, Robins and Starlings have probably moved on in their nomadic way to greener pastures (or berrier locales.)

So if there are no birds, I'll just have to show pictures of my favorite birdwatching partner, Lucy.


I am learning that she has talents other than birdwatching, sleeping and eating. She obviously has a green thumb and is helping me maintain my houseplants.


She has no problem jumping right in to pull the dead leaves.


I shouldn't laugh. Houseplants can be very dangerous for cats. But honestly, I cracked up when she did this. Of course, it wouldn't have been so funny if she had knocked it over or tracked dirt through the apartment.

1 comment:

Rambling Woods said...

Oh Amy..I am sorry about your count. My feeders got very quiet, but it turned out that a hawk was hanging around. Lucy is so cute. I have a plant just like that one, but my sister told me it was poisonous so it went into a room the cats can't get into as they would eat it..

New Rambling Woods Site