Sunday, May 10, 2009

Goldfinches & Apt List Grows

It was dreary and overcast all day, but the presence of American Goldfinches in their full breeding plumage goes a long way to brighten the view. Until this weekend, I have seen one Goldfinch pair, when they were seen. Today, at least five showed up to the thistle feeder and they came back over and over throughout the day.

American Goldfinches

I added TWO new birds to my apartment bird list today. The Swainson's Thrush pictured below is migratory in Missouri. It was foraging in the parking lot and shrubs outside my apartment.




The other I saw is also migratory and a real surprise to see. An American White Pelican was circling the area and looked like it might have flown to the man-made pond on the other side of the building. I was talking to my Mom & wishing her a Happy Mother's Day at the time so I couldn't walk/drive over there to see it close up, if in fact it did land over there.

So my apartment list is now up to 29. Still time to reach the 30-bird mark before I move.

,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

No comments: