Friday, May 8, 2009

Spring Migration

I didn't expect to see many migrants here at the apartment, but I've heard a lot of songs that are somewhat familiar from past Springs at the house. It's just hard to pick them out in the trees and bushes. Generally, the migrants don't come to feeders. So I was so excited last night when I saw this female Rose-breasted Grosbeak on the feeders.



I kept waiting for the male to show up. The female is a beautiful bird in her own right, but I just love the bold coloring of the male. I kept checking the feeders, but only the "usuals" were coming around. But as I was watching, I noticed a House Finch with wings all a-flutter begging to be fed. A Baby! house finch. Too cute with the downy tufts atop its head.



Not much later, my patience paid off! The male Rose-breasted Grosbeak showed up. He didn't stick around long .... I'm guessing he kept seeing movement behind the glass doors while I was trying to take pictures. This is the best I got through sunny reflections on the dirty door.



Migration will be over by the time I close on the house, but I'm looking forward to the move. The yard has several mature trees and lots of pretty flowers currently in bloom. I hope it will be a good bird environment.

,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dennis finally saw a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak a few days ago. It is now his favorite bird. ~ Ann