Sunday, November 29, 2009

Low Count and Reality Check

Hope everyone in the U.S. enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday. I was out of town for a few days and didn't return until late Saturday afternoon. My Project FeederWatch count days are Saturday and Sunday so I only had a couple of hours of daylight to count Saturday. The number of birds was way down despite the beautiful weather. The highlight Saturday was this White-breasted Nuthatch.


The only other birds I saw were a couple of House Finches, a lone Mourning Dove and an unidentified Hawk species. It flew into the "birdy" magnolia tree in the neighbor's yard. Wonder if that kept the birds away?

Today there was only a one hour period where the birds showed up in numbers, but I only saw an additional eight more species bringing the total number to 12 for the weekend. A picture of one of the Carolina Wrens that visited, then the total count list for the weekend.




Checklist for FeederWatch Missouri Birds
  • hawk sp. 1 Confirmed
  • Mourning Dove 4
  • Downy Woodpecker 2
  • Northern Flicker 1
  • Blue Jay 4
  • Carolina Chickadee 2
  • Tufted Titmouse 4
  • White-breasted Nuthatch 1
  • Carolina Wren 2
  • Northern Cardinal 6
  • Common Grackle 15
  • House Finch 4 (0 with eye disease)
  • TOTAL 12 species / 46 individuals

Last week I "celebrated" a milestone birthday: 50. I have no problem with it. It's just a number, you know. But when I visited my Mom, she presented me with the mailing from AARP. I'm not a senior citizen; I am no where near retiring. So why do they have to send these to 50 year olds? Guess, like every other organization, they need the money.


What baffles me up is that they mailed it to my Mom's house. 300 miles away. I've never lived there. My name has never been linked to that address in any way. I think the AARP mail administrators must be senile.

,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

No comments: