Sunday, December 6, 2009

Birds have flown the coop/neighborhood?

I have had worse counts when I was at the apartment last year, but I couldn't believe the meager number of birds to count for Project FeederWatch this weekend. I don't even need to put it in a list format, there were so few: House Finch - 3, Northern Cardinal - 1, Blue Jay - 3. The neighborhood was practically void of birds and bird song.

I have noticed the decline in the birds for about a week now. Last weekend, I know there was a hawk prowling the area, but it hasn't been visible since. I do have a guess though. The three Blue Jays that I counted this weekend were rowdily screaming at something in the neighbor's magnolia tree. Unfortunately, magnolias don't drop their leaves so I couldn't see what was upsetting them. But I'm speculating that it could be an owl. Last night at about 9:00 I heard a Barred Owl calling, then a commotion as it flew to the ground to catch something. I could see hardly anything, but I did see its shadow flying away. So I'm wondering if it is roosting in the magnolia.

No birds so no bird pictures. I'll share a couple pictures of my other favorite subjects: Lucy & Topaz lounging under the Christmas tree.



This is their first Christmas tree so I was kind of worried. Lucy did try to climb it the first day, but luckily they haven't broken any ornaments. They do like to gently swat at them to hear the bells tinkling. Well, I guess they like the sound of the bells. Who knows with cats.

,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

No comments: