Monday, June 25, 2007

Pick Me! Pick Me!

I wish it were that easy! Last weekend I went through my catalog of Grow Native plants and finally selected those for the shady areas, which would be most of the area I am now landscaping. Very difficult as there are very few shade loving plants to begin with, then add in the wildlife attracting attribute. Overall, I think I have a decent selection given the limitations.

ID # Common Name Scientific Name
1 Maidenhair Fern Adiantum pedatum
2 Lady Fern Athyrium filix-femina
3 Christmas Fern Polystichum acrostichoides
4 Goat's Beard Aruncus dioicus
5 Celandine Poppy Stylophorum diphyllum
6 Ohio Spiderwort Tradescantia ohiensis
7 Jacob's Ladder Polemonium reptans
8 Wild Hydrangea Hydrangea arborescens
9 Strawberry Bush Euonymus americanus
10 Virginia Bluebells Mertensia virginica
11 Wild Geranium Geranium maculatum
12 Solomon's Seal Polygonatum biflorum
13 Wild Sweet William Phlox divaricata
14 Cardinal Flower Lobelia cardinalis
15 Crested Iris Iris cristata
16 Columbine Aquilegia canadensis

In the list above, I have already planted #4, 7, 12, 14 & 16. After the deluge Saturday morning/early afternoon, I happily set out to purchase all the plants on my list. But these were the only ones I could procure. Seems like the yellow pages is not a good resource for locating nurseries. My next plan of action is to email the local nurseries found on the Grow Native website and ask if they have my desired plants in stock. I will never again go on a wild goose chase. Gas at $3.00 or more a gallon on any given day, of course not!

Here is my updated landscape plan, effective as of this minute and subject to change at a moment's notice. Crude as it may be, I am patting myself on the back for at least getting this far! I can only hope for positive results next Spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I envy your powers of organization. Your amazing plan makes me think you might enjoy my fellow Greensboroian's post about trying to be a Type A gardener (http://tinyurl.com/yt8mew).

Amy said...

Does that describe me or what! I may have to look for a year to find what I want, but I will not succumb to sale tables just to get something in the ground. After finding his blog on yours a while back, I have visited it a few times. Very charming. And I love the Blog Title.