Thursday, June 28, 2007

Squirrels = Destruction

Of the plants I noted in the last post, #7 and #14 are close to their demise. The silly squirrels have decided that their dust-bathing activities must be right next to my new plants. And many of the stems have been broken. Other plants have lost their topsoil as the squirrels dig it up and start rolling around in the ground. GGGGRRRRRRR! Hubbie thinks I need a light-weight pellet gun to deter the little devils. I, I, I, I, don't know. Not in my nature to harm any little critter over a $10.00 plant. But he promises me that it will only startle them and not cause any real harm.

All opinions, comments, criticisms, outrages welcome.

And another darling showed up today -- Da Mole! I think I'll throw bunches of grubs into my neighbors' yards and encourage them to move west. Please don't repeat this to anyone!

Lots of rain lately and the tomato plants are doubling over. I swear if we had to stake them up, it would take an eight foot stake. That's what we plan to do this weekend. Three foot cages are virtually useless, obviously.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've witnessed the demise via pellet gun of a number of squirrels, so I would take the hubby's word with a dash of salt. My brother picked off many squirrels with his "starter gun" when we were kids, and I've heard that it's a popular way to dispose of them in certain apartment communities. Have you tried mulching around the plants so the squirrels don't have easy access to that cooling dirt?

Amy said...

Thanks for the words of wisdom N9. I want to dissuade the hubby of thinking this is a good idea, and this gives me ammunition, figuratively ... not literally. Mulching is in the plan, just haven't gotten around to it yet. But if it's a possible deterrent to the playful yet destructive nature of the squirrels, I may have to do it as I go along. I also thought about protecting the new plants with those useless 3' tomato cages until they get stronger roots.