Saturday, June 23, 2007

Catching Up



I still haven't planted a thing but I have been busy the past couple of weeks. A lot of grass, clover and other green things sprouted in the bird garden and I spent nearly an entire weekend clearing it out. Right now I have black plastic covering the grass just outside of the garden to kill the grass and maintain a buffer zone between the two areas.









The bird feeders create a huge mess with seed littering the ground below and creating baby sunflower plants when the seeds germinate. Underneath each double shepherd's hook, I dug a two inch pit, each about 4' x 5', and filled it with pea gravel and then larger landscaping rock. Hopefully this will keep the fallen seed drier and easier to "vacuum" up.

The vegetable garden is doing great. I am predicting ripe tomatoes by the Fourth of July.



And lots of baby birds begging to be fed and awkwardly stumbling through the trees as they learn the ins and outs of flight.





Last weekend Ed & I had a wonderful visit with his folks in Knoxville. Here they are enjoying a warm and sunny day in the Smokies.


No comments: