Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Cardinals' New Address

I don't know why the one nest was abandoned, but I was able to locate a new Cardinal nest: just south of the garage along the east property line. More specifically, in the overgrown shrub I was about to take a "machete" to this weekend. As I was cleaning up in other areas, I kept hearing this chirp chirp, and seeing a female Cardinal hanging out close by. I suppose that trimming project will have to wait until the babies fledge.

I did see my first Cardinal fledgling this morning. There must be two nests in close proximity. It's not unusual to see two females or two males, duking it out for territory. This youngster must be from the "other" nest. Lighting was terrible today and baby was up in the Redbud obscured by the leaves, so the picture isn't very good. (It couldn't possibly be operator error, could it?)

One of the male Cardinals (the one residing in the overgrown shrub, I believe) has taken lessons from the Robins. One day I was tossing out raisins for Mr. Robin when Mr. Cardinal swooped down and snatched a raisin before the Robin could get it. Ever since, the Cardinal is keeping an eye out for me and my canister of raisins.

No comments: