Saturday, May 5, 2007

American Redstart & Others to be Identified

Another lifer today! This American Redstart flitted through my backyard off and on all day. What a colorful little warbler. He is a summer resident of the area, and I'm so thrilled he graced my yard.

Although I didn't get a photo, I saw the back of a bird out in the yard and it was solid blue. It can only be an Eastern Bluebird and I have never seen one here before, although it is the state bird of Missouri. Hope he returns for a better look.


And finally, this bird was up in the trees but I could not get a great picture for the life of me -- backlit. I touched these pictures up best I could. Any ideas? The one thing that is bothering me is that it appears to have only one white wingbar and all the warblers in the field guides have two. Drop me a line if you have any suggestions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mystery bird looks like it could be a ruby-crowned kinglet. The beak looks too pointy for a female American Goldfinch, which was my first thought.

Food for thought re the blue bird: Loads of indigo buntings have been spotted this season, including your neck of the woods.

Amy said...

Thanks Iris! You are the third to say Ruby-crowned Kinglet, so be it.

As to the blue bird, another has also suggested the Indigo Bunting .... definitely a possibility. I only hope it comes back and allows a better look, including a front view. It was awesome to see, whatever it may be.