Monday, May 14, 2007

Plant Selection

Although I implied I haven't done anything the past week, I really have. I'm ready to plant, but an important step of the process has yet to be completed. I don't know what will be planted!!! I have a binder full of potential species that need to be culled through after considering basic requirements, sun and moisture the most important. Another very important consideration is their ability to attract birds, as well as butterflies. And last but not least, the plants must be native to this area.

The Missouri Department of Conservation has a wonderful website that addresses all of these factors with a great interactive plant selection tool. Once I found the Grow Native website, my obsession with native plants took root. Benefits of using native plants in your landscaping:
Native plants conserve soil and water, provide the backbone for non-polluting landscapes because they don't need fertilizers or pesticides, support a diversity of wildlife through improved habitat, reduce long-term maintenance after plantings are established, contribute to fewer losses because natives are winter hardy and drought tolerant and are less prone to destructive insects and diseases.

Gee, seems like less work for me. Why wouldn't I Grow Native!

No comments: