Sunday, January 11, 2009

PFW - Week 10: Winter Birds

While I never look forward to winter and the cold weather, I have always been able to look forward to the winter birds to make it bearable. Just about the time Project FeederWatch starts the White-throated Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos arrive, steadily increasing their numbers throughout the season. It hasn't happened here, however, until today. I've seen one or two here and there, but this weekend, there were 10 WT Sparrows and 3 Juncos brightening the dreary winter landscape.

I was too happy to see them to even think about taking pictures, but managed to capture the female and male Cardinals today. Even though it is a ways off, the Cardinals quietly singing Cheer-Cheer-Cheerio in the bushes brought a harbinger of Spring.





PFW Count:
  • Song Sparrow 1
  • White-throated Sparrow 10
  • Dark-eyed Junco 3
  • Northern Cardinal 2
  • House Finch 5 (0 with eye disease)
  • House Sparrow 4

Lucy doesn't think I see her, and I didn't have the heart to tell her the camouflage wasn't working. She's a young'un. Why discourage her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great Amy..Birds do cheer up the day. I have noticed 3 HF with eye disease now darn it. And who cleans the feeders every week in this weather or in any weather for that matter...Love Lucy....