Sunday, January 25, 2009

PFW - Week 12: First Goldfinch

Last summer after I first moved here, I did see an occasional American Goldfinch. But this weekend was the first time I've had one visit the feeders. He didn't return today during the light snow that fell, but at least I know they are out there and I'm looking forward to seeing them more often. Especially as they molt and the bright yellow feathers come in.


The total count for PFW this weekend was higher and included the return of the Carolina Chickadee and American Robin. The numbers picked up today, the second day of the two day count, with the arrival of the light snow. Temperatures stayed below freezing all weekend.
  • Carolina Chickadee 2
  • American Robin 6
  • European Starling 5
  • Song Sparrow 1
  • White-throated Sparrow 6
  • Dark-eyed Junco 4
  • Northern Cardinal 2
  • House Finch 9 (0 with eye disease)
  • American Goldfinch 1 (0 with eye disease)
  • House Sparrow 1

Northern Cardinal


Dark-eyed Junco


Carolina Chickadee


Song Sparrow
scratching in the snow to find the sunflower chips

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am counting tomorrow..I have to go look up the Carolina dee and the difference even though they won't be making the trip to Buffalo.