Thursday, June 4, 2009

Could this be #32 on the apartment list?

After work tonight, I looked out and saw this Hawk sitting on the antenna atop the office building. That antenna really does attract a lot of birds! But of course, it is extremely difficult to get a clear view at that distance with my bins and camera. Based on the field marks I saw, I am almost certain this is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. [Feel free to offer an opinion if you disagree!]



I wish the hawk would have turned to give me a view from a different angle, specifically a look at its tail, but it wasn't going to happen. The only movement I saw in half an hour was when an American Crow swooped at him, causing him to ruffle his feathers.

The feeder birds were tenuous about being in the open with a predator hanging around, but after he continued to maintain his position, they dared to venture over for a bite to eat. This Common Grackle must have a mate and babies on a nest. He came over time and time again to fill his beak with sunflower hearts and fly off with them.



I had business to tend to and left with the RT Hawk still on his perch. An hour or so later when I returned, I saw a huge hawk flying low over the road as I was turning into the apartment complex. It had to be the same hawk based on the markings on his chest & belly. Wonder if he was able to catch dinner?

,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

No comments: