Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Late Night Birdwatching

I stepped out on the balcony to hear what sounded like more than one owl hooting it up. I thought they were in front of me in the trees, but looked up to see two figures flying through the air from behind. They landed on an antenna attached to the office building across the way. Put my bins on them and there were definitely two owls! They were out there for a while doing the mating ritual. The male is wooing the female, lifting his tail while hooting. She coquettishly turns away.

Too bad I can't get a good picture in the dark to ID them. But what a treat to see this in the middle of an urban area.

Last check, he's still there, but looks like she flew off.  Must have discovered his dark side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so exciting to hear something like that and then try to ID it.I would love to see the GHO that are in the back woods..maybe they could come and eat the visiting rat..