Sunday, December 14, 2008

PFW - Week 6: Windy & Almost No Birds

It was so windy this weekend my feeder station with large metal base actually toppled over and feeders went flying everywhere. I wonder if that would explain the lack of birds. My count was a meager 6 House Finches. That's it. Even away from the feeder area there were only a few Cedar Waxwings, a Robin and one Chickadee.

The Downy Woodpecker has been excavating a hole in a small dead tree just below my unit the past month. Unfortunately, the winds took out the top half of the tree, probably further weakened by the excavation. Too bad. I was looking forward to seeing baby woodpeckers next Spring :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy..on Saturday it was so windy that a couple of my feeders blew over. I barely counted any birds. Today I had to go out and clean the wet and frozen seed out and then count..