Sunday, December 28, 2008

PFW - Week 8: First Hawk Sighting

There were plenty of Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned Hawks stalking the feeders at the house, but today was the first time I saw one here at the apartment. I saw a bird about the size of a large pigeon buzzing through the trees and recognized the striping on its breast and realized that it was a short-shinned hawk, confirmed by the straight tail (as opposed to a cooper's with a curved tail and generally larger.)

Lucy wanted to help me keep a record of bird sightings, but without opposable thumbs she was having a hard time handling the pencil.

Total count for the weekend:

  • Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
  • Mourning Dove 1
  • Downy Woodpecker 1
  • Carolina Chickadee 2
  • American Robin 1
  • Song Sparrow 1
  • White-throated Sparrow 2
  • Dark-eyed Junco 1
  • Northern Cardinal 2
  • House Finch 7 (0 with eye disease)
  • House Sparrow 9

My family is onto my love of birds and here is one of my Christmas gifts. Of course, it's also a Cardinal ..... as in the University of Louisville Cardinals, my favorite college sports team.


Happy New Year & best wishes for 2009.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a good list Amy..I am supposed to watch Mon and Tues, but today there was work being done next door so no birds...I LOL at Lucy...Oliver has the extra toes that act thumbs and opened a cupboard today and got into a bag of cookies....