Sunday, March 1, 2009

PFW - Week 17: Happy Bird Days

Saturday morning, as I was brewing the coffee, Lucy created her own blind to hide behind for bird watching. Bird activity at the feeders was finally up, at least between 7:00 and 10:00.


Friday night, my Mom called all excited to tell me about the three Flickers that showed up at her feeder that day. She must have brought me good luck as a Northern Flicker also showed up here. I had only seen one once before and that was the first weekend of PFW. Later in the day, a Downy Woodpecker after a long absence.

Northern Flicker


Downy Woodpecker

American Robins are in the area quite often, but I've never had one visit the feeder area for the purpose of eating until Saturday morning. I had crumbled an older suet cake made of, among other things, peanut butter and raisins. One or two Robins showed up throughout the day to feed upon it. Remembering how much they enjoy raisins from my days at the house, today I placed some on the railing and the Robin continued to come back.

American Robin

Another rare visitor also stopped by for a while. The American Goldfinches are getting brighter and brighter ....... Spring will be here soon! Another sign of Spring .... the Cardinals continue to sing throughout the day.

American Goldfinch


Northern Cardinal

Full weekend count for Project FeederWatch:

  • Mourning Dove 2
  • Downy Woodpecker 1
  • Northern Flicker 1
  • American Robin 2
  • European Starling 1
  • White-throated Sparrow 6
  • Dark-eyed Junco 1
  • Northern Cardinal 2
  • House Finch 6 (1 with eye disease)
  • American Goldfinch 1 (0 with eye disease)
  • House Sparrow 7

,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

4 comments:

North West Birds said...

I like your flicker. That's the yellow shafted northern flicker right?

Amy said...

Hi NWB! Yes it is the yellow-shafted. I've heard of a hybrid yellow/red being in Missouri, but I don't think I've heard of a pure red-shafted here.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos Amy and I love Lucy's blind..LOL..Funny as I had my first flicker here too....Michelle

North West Birds said...

I've heard of yellow x red shafted hybrids before but the only flickers I see are the pure red shafted.