Sunday, March 22, 2009

PFW - Week 20: Hummingbirds Heading North

Spring is finally here so the hummingbirds will be here soon too. hummingbirds.net tracks the spring migration and it looks like the Ruby-throats have made it to Arkansas and southwest Tennessee this weekend.



NOTE on 4/11/09:  This map has been updated since I originally posted it so you can see how much further north the hummingbirds have made it.  To see the progress to the east, click the map to open in a separate window.  They are showing up all around St. Louis, but I still haven't had one visit here.

I didn't watch birds much this weekend, but instead decided it was a good weekend for house hunting. It's a little early, but I did stop by Ace Hardware to pick up a hummer feeder. You never know when an early migrant will show up.

The count for the weekend:

  • Mourning Dove 1
  • Northern Mockingbird 1
  • European Starling 7
  • Song Sparrow 1
  • Dark-eyed Junco 1
  • Northern Cardinal 2
  • House Finch 4 (0 with eye disease)
  • House Sparrow 3
And March Madness is going well for the Louisville Cardinals. They have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen after close games with Morehead State (through the early part of the 2nd half) and Siena. The Cardiac Cards always keep it exciting. The Lady Cards, as a #3 seed, are playing their first game tonight against Liberty.

Go Cards!

,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

3 comments:

North West Birds said...

I'm still waiting for my first rufous hummingbird.

Anonymous said...

Last year I didn't see a hummer till May..Good luck with the house hunting. I looked at so many until I found this one..the internet listings helped a lot....Michelle

North West Birds said...

I get two different hummers here, the rufous and Annas. The Annas are the year-round but the rufous are migrantss. There are others in Oregon but I still have yet to see them.