Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Birds at Feeder - YES!

It just took a little patience and the birds have found my feeders. House finches dominate the feeders, but I have also seen house sparrows, cardinals and mourning doves. This morning a bright yellow goldfinch wanted to approach, but I was sitting outside enjoying coffee before work and scared him off. At least he knows the kitchen is open.

House Finches & Cardinal


House Finch


The biggest thrill came Saturday morning when I saw a solid gray bird approach the sunflower feeder. It quickly flew off before I could positively ID it, but I thought I knew what it was. I sat patiently, camera in hand and ready to shoot. Just as I thought, it was a Tufted Titmouse. It came back a couple more times and gave me good photo ops.

Tufted Titmouse

It has probably been three years since I've seen one, other than at my Mom's house in Louisville. Of course, she has a great location for seeing birds as her small back yard backs up to a protected creek with lots of trees and snags. She even has a Pileated Woodpecker flying through her backyard! I was lucky enough to see it when I visited the weekend before last.

Tufted Titmouse


Lucy is enjoying the new house with a lot more room to run around. But she still wonders why she has to view the wildlife from inside. Sorry little one. That's just the way it has to be :(




,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

No comments: