Sunday, July 5, 2009

Life Bird #100 !!!

And what a majestic bird it is: the GREAT BLUE HERON. It is a year-round resident in Missouri.  Fish is its primary diet and this 38" to 54" bird is found in a marsh habitat.  Wingspan is anywhere from 66" to 79".

I've seen this particular bird in a small pond near my home. It can usually be found standing on a rock in the pond looking for fish. In this picture, it is fishing from the edge of the pond.



I was getting ready to leave when it took flight! While it's not the best picture, I was thrilled to catch it in flight about to land on its favorite rock.


Thanks to my BOAF friends for ID confirmation and All About Birds for detailed information.
,_
>' )
( ( \
" |\

3 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I think the taking flight photo is terrific Amy...Congrats on 100...

Christian H said...

What luck.

Amy said...

I like the flight photo, but want to have it printed for my "bird wall" and it is just a little too soft for a larger print. I'll have to work with it and see if I can get an acceptable image.