Monday, April 9, 2007

Dilemma: Jigsaw Puzzle or Watch Birds


I got home from work and changed into my other work clothes. Time to start laying the path. But, gee, the cute little Tufted Titmouse is at the feeder. I'll watch for a while and then start work.

Hmmm, what's that in the fountain? Cedar Waxwing!!! Woot!!!!!



These have to be the slickest looking birds I have ever seen. Crested, brownish with bright yellow highlights, tails dipped in yellow, dark mask, red spots on the wings of the adults (just like wax, hence their name), and more red the older they are, no red on the juvies. And they are so quiet, you don't know they are around unless you see them. They generally travel in large flocks, so when you do see them, it really takes you by surprise.

Before this year, I have seen the cedar waxwings twice. Then this Spring -- late February, about two dozen showed up around the yard and hung out for a little over a week. Then, gone they were. I was shocked to see four of them this evening. They were feeding on the flowers of my neighbor's crabapple tree that abuts our property. Every once in a while, they came over to the bird bath for a sip of water and gave me great photo opportunities.


Jigsaw puzzle will always be there. I never know when these beautiful birds will show up.

No comments: