Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rain Rain Go Away


It started raining tonight and it's forecasted to rain through tomorrow. In a way I guess it's good to have the rain before I lay the stone so I can see what happens to my "flood-prone" areas. I hope the base absorbs it and doesn't go floating away. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

I used Microsoft's Digital Image Pro to mock up my plan on top of our property survey. It is very rudimentary, but you can see the general idea of my Birdscapes plan. If you click on the picture, you can get a larger version that is easier to read. The bottom of the picture is the front of the house with driveway to the left. I've been carting the materials from this location all the way around to the path area. Never buy a house that has no convenient access to the backyard. Another lesson learned!

The path is the brownish thingy that I've been photographing the past couple of weeks. It extends from the deck to the back of the yard. At the end of the extension to the right is where I want to have a garden bench. Despite having seven neighbors abutting the property, and three more in clear view, this is a very private spot in summer time because of all the trees.

The green circles are most of the existing trees and shrubs. Yes, there are two trees growing through the deck. Between these and the two just off of the deck, you can see why it is so easy to photograph the birds up close and personal. All I have to do is sit quietly on the deck. Not that the birds are truly comfortable with my presence, but over time I think they have become accustomed to it.

The Cedar Waxwings were still here today. They didn't come over for water very often while I was around, but I saw them eating the flowers from the crabapple tree. I never saw the Tufted Titmouse. Once again, a single Dark-eyed Junco made an appearance this evening. Since the wintering flock is no longer around, I wonder if I'm seeing migrating Juncos who just happen to stop-over for the night. I'll enjoy them while they are here.

No comments: